SMC Australia is the national support and advocacy group for women who are thinking about or have become sole parents and their children.
Initially founded in 2002 by two women from Queensland, an online community was formed in 2004 with 30 women. Today, we have over 400 active members Australia wide with over 200 babies and children. Our members include women who are in the thinking stages, pregnant or mothers of babies through to teenagers.
SMC Australia offers many different ways for members and their families to participate and connect with other like-minded people including:
- a very lively, active and private online forum where information and friendship are shared in a supportive and non-judgmental environment;
- regular face-to-face gatherings in all capital cities and many other locations around Australia;
- an annual SMC holiday and many smaller regional and State-based holidays.
SMC Australia also undertakes advocacy work in relation to government inquiries and policy issues which are relevant to our membership.
SMC Australia is a volunteer run organisation.
Who Are SMCs?
An SMC is a woman who has chosen to be a solo parent.
SMC Australia families are created from:
- gamete donation (sperm, sperm and egg or embryo);
- foster care and adoption (domestic and international);
- any combination of the above.
Our members are located all over Australia and overseas, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds, professions and interests.
Please feel free to like SMC Australia’s Facebook page which has some useful links and information: